Monday, February 28, 2011

Audi: the future Internet Gadget ?

During the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Audi presented an A8 luxury sedan model with in-built 100Mbps Internet connection based on Long-Term Evolution (LTE) technology.


It's a very good news. Not because of a perspective of driving an Audi and offering my passengers HD TV on demand. I do not think consumers are waiting for yet another Internet provider offered by car manufacturers. I would prefer car manufacturers  focus on innovation in designing cars able to connect with driver's / passengers smartphones or tablets and offering them new, Internet based ,services.


Why, as an Audi driver , are you still forced to buy an expensive DVD with updated maps or go to a garage to update your navigation software instead of downloading from the Internet?


It is a very good news as LTE technology should enable another generation of customer service I was missing so much during my two years Audi driving experience.


From the day one I was experiencing strange software/electrical problems causing the Audi engine to stall. Many visits to the Audi garage led to only a partial improvement , mainly due to the difficulty to reproduce the problem.


My observation is that the Audi's advanced technology is far ahead of the Audi customer service unable to support complex software/electrical problems.


Constant online connection should help to diagnose a problem by providing sufficient real time information about engine stall cases.


It will take few years, depending on a country, to take advantage of the new Audi feature. I hope that Audi will use this time to improve its service organizations by equipping them with new LTE based diagnostic tools.


In the meantime I am going to enjoy a new Lexus or BMW driving experience and my passengers HD TV on their iPads or Android tablets.

No comments:

Post a Comment