Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Excessive data usage by my Nexus S

Today I found out that my Nexus S was blocked by Vodafone due to a very high data usage during my trip to San Francisco. Since I paid a very high bill for data roaming in Mexico where costs for data are a few times higher than in other countries I am very careful with data roaming. On that particular day, when I reached Vodafone security threshold, I only used Foursquare to check in. I have no clue how I could  download so much data!

It looks like Android 2.3 keeps some "data hungry" applications running in the background. I am very happy with Vodafone blocking my phone, suspecting it was being stolen, and preventing much higher data roaming costs. I checked on the Internet and found that more Nexus S users noticed much higher data usage. A bug in Android 2.3?  It is time to install  3G watchdog and find out more about Android 2.3 features driving such high data usage and DISABLE them!

Since I installed 3G Watchdog Pro  (a data usage monitoring program), I have a much better understanding of the data usage per application on my Samsung Galaxy S and Nexus S.  I realized that  a number of applications are continuously sending and receiving data in the background, which as a user of one application you might not be aware of. My advise is to use this 3G Watchdog Pro, or at least its free version especially when abroad in order to minimize the risk of being surprised by the high roaming costs.

After having collected more data usage statistics I hope to gain a better insight into what happened while I was in San Francisco and how to structurally reduce the data usage on my Nexus S in the future.

My findings you can find here

No comments:

Post a Comment