Saturday, October 13, 2012

Apple navigation ideally compliments my BMW one

After iOS 6 and iPhone 5 release Apple got lots of negative publicity about "imperfect new Maps app". I was not under that bad impression after experiencing missing motorways and tunnels on Google maps. As described in my previous post I got very enthusiastic about the Google navigation which I use regularly , especially given that the traffic information is much better than on my BMW navigation .
This spring, while driving from Berlin to Poznan and enjoying the recently opened motorway in Poland, to my surprise, this motorway was missing on Google Maps. Apparently Google missed 200km new motorways opened just before the European 2012 Soccer Championship in Poland & Ukraine which was reported in Gazeta Wyborcza, Poland’s leading newspaper.

The tunnel “Leidsche Rijntunnel" on A2 between Utrecht and Amsterdam opened in February 2012 did not appear on the Google Maps until summer. Now my Nexus S indicates approaching the tunnel with adjusted brightness on the screen. Apple navigation, the first few days, was also lost in the tunnel.

I am looking forward to the intelligent maps which can much faster respond to the changes. This should be possible by effectively using the location data provided by telecom operators or navigation apps providers.

Telefonica's recent announcement about “big data" analysis service demonstrates such opportunities. I am positive that soon, the location data will be released real time allowing fast updates of navigation maps.

As I enjoy great iPhone integration with my BMW the Apple Navigation is a perfect addition to my BMW Navigation. Apple turn-by-turn navigation can be seamlessly started to bring me to the address found in my email or contact list without a need to start BMW navigation.
The missing map on my BMW large screen or heads-up display is the only disadvantage.

Soon, I hope that the traffic information in Apple Navigation will be as good as the Google one and new BMW integration software will enable displaying Apple Maps on my BMW screen and heads-up display. At that moment Apple will take BMW navigation over :)


No comments:

Post a Comment